Users in VMware clusters can install VMware tools using the Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator UI, avoiding the need to log in to vSphere to do this. VMware tools improves guest OS performance and eliminates several issues relating to server management. Most notably, it allows Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator to shut down a running server safely.
To install VMware tools using Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator:
- Show the Resources page by clicking the Resources link in the top right hand corner of the screen.
Set the OS type for the server so that vSphere knows which version of VMware tools to install. To do this:
Click on the Images tab.
Setting the OS type on the image avoids having to set it for each server individually.
Click on the name of the required image.
- Click on the Virtualisation sub-tab.
- Click the button.
Select the appropriate OS type from the OS Type drop down.
The available OS types are taken from the list at https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.wssdk.apiref.doc%2Fvim.vm.GuestOsDescriptor.GuestOsIdentifier.html.
- If required, the a change to be inherited by resources lower down the hierarchy by clicking the Hypervisor specific settings. button. For more information about the hierarchy, see
- Click the button to save your changes.
- Close the Manage Image dialog by clicking the
- Install VMware tools on the server. To do this:
- Click on the Servers tab.
- Click on the name of the server you want to install VMware tools on.
- Click the button in the title bar.
- Select the Install VMware Tools option from the menu.
- Click the button to begin installation of VMware tools on the server.